HEAD OF THE OUTPATIENT’S CONSULTING OFFICE:
ISKREN KAFTANDJIEV, MD
NCIPD Consulting office:
Sofia, Krakra Street № 3-A
Consulting office hours: Monday – Friday, from 8 a.m to 3 p.m.
Staff of the Consulting office:
Svetla Popova – hygiene assistant
Outpatient’s unit for consulting assistance in the Department of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine at the NCIPD is performing the following basic activities: consultations, diagnostic activities, therapeutic activities, follow up observation, tutoring and scientific research.
The consulting room is performing medical services for patients from Sofia and the country, who had been directed for specialized assistance in the field of medical parasitology from other health facilities, or have decided to attend for consultation on their own. An advisory help is provided for travelers in tropical countries regarding the risk from tropical diseases, the ways of prevention and the necessity of chemoprophylaxis. The following specialized and common health services are performed:
1. Medical examination and consultation:
- Primary examination with anamnesis and physical patient’ status evaluation.
- Secondary examination and evaluation of a new medical problem.
- Switching patients for other qualified assistance with specialists in outpatients’ cabinets or for hospital services.
- Medical examination and consultation of traveling persons coming from or departing for tropical countries.
- Issuing of medical documentation.
- Issuing expert decision for NHIF/RHIF regarding the necessity of anti-relapsing and/or conservative treatment of cystic echinococcosis.
- Diagnostic specification, follow up observation, and therapy of pregnant mothers with acute toxoplasmosis.
- Examination and consultation of hospitalized patients at hospital facilities.
2. Medical manipulations:
- Taking blood samples for microscopic and serological examination.
- Peripheral blood sampling for malaria examination.
- Cutaneous samples from skin lesions for leishmaniosis.
- Pathological specimen collection from urethra and vagina for parasitological and microbiological examination.
- Perianal cellophane-tape sampling.
- Macroscopic examination for parasites.
- Wet mount preparations for parasites.
- Abdominal Ultrasound Sonography.
4. Follow up observation
Follow up monitoring of different nosological units (parasitological diseases) for different category patients - children and adults is performed, according to the Ministry of Health regulations. Patients suspected for, or with confirmed echinococcosis, are included in a card - index for continuous dispensary monitoring.
Outpatient’s office specialists are actively participating in educational activities held in the department (in the form of individual training or courses), which are included in the program for post-graduate education in Medical Parasitology, according to an approved NCIPD program.
Individual training and courses on issues of the clinical aspects, contemporary therapy, follow up observation and prophylactic treatment of indigenous and imported parasitoses are annually held in the department. Тhe courses are intended for specializing physicians, parasitologists, general practitioners, physicians from other clinical disciplines - internists, pediatricians, gastroenterologists, infectionists and others.
6. Scientific and Research activities
These activities are represented by the numerous participations in scientific works /one-man or complex with the participation of other scientific units/, publications in scientific magazines, author issues of monographs and manuals, participation in national and international forums. The scientific research is mainly in the field of clinics, experimental and clinical chemotherapy, dispensary observation, distribution and chemotherapy of indigenous and imported from tropical countries parasitoses. Of scientific interest are parasitological diseases like echinococcosis, leishmaniasis, trichinellosis, toxoplasmosis, toxocarosis, trichomonasis, giardiasis, dirofilarioses, cysticercosis and others.